The modern vs. traditional office furniture debate won’t end soon as each option has significant attractions and downsides.
For instance, modern office decor is more attractive to the younger generation. Therefore, it makes more sense to go with a modern style if your organization targets the younger generation. On the other hand, traditional styles typically make a bigger statement if your business targets the older generation who feel disconnected from modern styles.
So, what should you do? Do you go modern and say “to hell” with the old guard or choose the traditional route hope for the best? The following modern vs. traditional office furniture head-to-head should help you make an informed choice.
What is Modern Office Furniture?
Modern offices plants promote open layouts, collaboration, creativity, and few divisions. They also prioritize employee wellness and maximizing productivity. The emphasis is on openness and communication as these are the most important productivity factors in the modern-day workplace.
As a result, modern office furniture units are minimalistic to leave as much open space as possible. They also mostly come in light colors that promote a sense of space and vibrant hues that create warmth and relaxation while reducing stress levels. So, oranges, pinks, and light greens are very common. Yellow is also a favorite in modern office settings.
Another hallmark feature of modern furniture is straight lines and flexibility. For instance, modern office chairs are adjustable for healthier backs, and the tables we’ve recently also seen the advent of adjustable-height desks.
Modern Office Furniture Advantages
The biggest advantage of the modern office setting is that it instantly tells guests that you know what’s trending. This can be decisive in winning over the younger generation. Other advantages of modern furniture in the office include;
- Maximize productivity: As mentioned, modern office furniture units are designed with productivity in mind. So, they directly impact worker output.
- Better for cross-culture organization: Modern office furniture is more culturally-inclusive. Therefore, you’re more likely to report high employee satisfaction levels.
- Improved employee health and wellbeing: Ergonomic office furniture with adjustable heights and backs guarantee fewer headaches, backaches, and neck pains among employees, thus greater concentration and reduced absenteeism.
Modern Office Furniture Disadvantages
Despite the many advantages, modern office furniture can impact your organization/business in a few ways as follows;
- Expensive to implement: It takes more than modern desks and cute chairs to create a modern office setting. Instead, you need to also invest in creating an open and collaborative environment with few brick walls. This can prove very expensive ultimately.
- “Modern” goes out of style quickly: The first question that comes to mind when one speaks of a modern office setting is “how modern?” Why? Because modern is relative to time. A style that was modern yesterday may already be out of fashion today. So, do you replace it with an even “more modern” alternative? That can be inconvenient and very expensive.
What’s Traditional Office Furniture?
Traditional furniture generally refers to furniture styles from the 19th century, though a few styles were borrowed from much earlier generations.
They are luxurious pieces that are often dark and made from heavy wood. The wood is also often ornately carved, embellished, or otherwise detailed. You may also note that they are usually made from expensive and highly-regarded hardwoods, including oak, purple ivory, and ebony.
Traditional office chairs are typically large, comfortable, and upholstered in rich leather or luxurious fabric. Darker colors are favored as they reinforce the sense of class.
Traditional Office Furniture Pros
Traditional office furniture comes with many advantages that are quite appealing, especially among older folks.
- A sense of class: Traditional office furniture pieces scream “luxury.” So, they’re a perfect choice if you’d like to “elevate” your social status.
- Timeless and classic: While modern furniture pieces fall out of fashion every few months, traditional styles are timeless. You don’t have to worry about going out of fashion.
- Highly comfortable: The best traditional furniture pieces are built with two main things in mind – luxury and comfort. They are very comfortable.
Traditional Office Furniture Cons
Though very attractive in specific social classes, traditional office furniture pieces are known for a few downsides that you should consider as you go shopping.
- Expensive to buy: It’s not as difficult to achieve a traditional setting as implementing a modern style. However, the big difference is that individual traditional furniture pieces can be extremely expensive. A single chair can cost thousands of dollars, and a traditional office table rarely costs under $10,000.
Modern vs. Traditional Office Furniture: Verdict
As you can see, it’s impossible to pick a winner. So, it comes down to your needs and personal desires. We recommend a vibrant, modern office setting with modern furniture if your premise targets the youthful generation. However, the older generation is more likely to appreciate the timelessness and class of traditional-style furniture.